About the project
As part of Wynyard Quarter’s 20-year regeneration, a network of people-friendly laneways will connect and act as the veins of the new neighbourhood. Meaning to shine, glimmer and light the way, Tīramarama Way will bring life and character between the streets, residential and commercial buildings and house facilities essential to the precinct.
Tīramarama Way is a pedestrian and cycle-only public laneway within Wynyard Quarter, and once complete, will provide a unique pedestrian link through from Beaumont Street in the west through to Halsey Street in the east.
Prior to the reclamation of Wynyard Quarter, this location was near the original shoreline of the Waitematā Harbour and a mahinga kai (a food gathering place).
Tīramarama Way was delivered by Panuku Development Auckland. The design of the laneway was curated by the landscape architects Wraight + Associates and local artist Lisa Reihana in consultation with mana whenua.
The design reveals the whakapapa of the place by drawing from the historic tidal/water edge beneath.
- Purposeful puddles designed to rise and fall with the tides provide an opportunity for play, and a stunning suspended light arrangement that celebrates constellations specific to Maori astronomy, including Te Puanga (The Southern Cross) and Matariki
- More than 500,000 dots have been sandblasted onto the ground of the laneway to represent Auckland’s waterfront in 1841
- At the western end (completed in stage one) it offers a beautiful view of the Viaduct Harbour, as well as there being circular burrow planters that act as small rain gardens designed to collect and clean rainwater
- A real-life garden laid beneath the ground allows the Nikau and Kowhai groves and other greenery planted along the laneway to flourish
Stage one of Tīramarama Way, between Halsey and Daldy streets, was completed in June 2018.
Stage two of Tīramarama Way, between Daldy and Beaumont Street, commenced construction in June 2020 and will be entirely complete by December 2021.
Due to the surrounding development of Tīramarama Way stage two, it will be completed in a two phase approach.
- The first phase completes the section from Daldy Street to the end of Willis Bond’s 30 Madden Street apartments. This phase reached completion January 2021.
- The second phase will complete the remaining section through to Beaumont Street, with expected completion December 2021.
Panuku Development Auckland