About the project
Quay Street is a gateway to Auckland City.
Over the next 10 years we are expecting an eight-fold increase in people using this space to get into and around the City Centre, highlighting its importance as a people focused place.
We will create an attractive street space with room for pedestrians, cyclists, and other modes of transport. This will enhance the connection between the city centre and the waterfront.
A revitalised waterfront street will be created, with wider footpaths and easier navigation, designed for a 30km/h speed, with street furniture, trees, and opportunities for business and events.
We will achieve this by:
- reducing four lanes of traffic to two, from Lower Albert Street to Commerce Street
- creating dedicated bus lanes between Lower Albert Street and Lower Hobson Street
- increasing space for people - wider footpaths
- increasing space for events and trading opportunities
- adding a cycleway separated from traffic
- planting trees and raingardens.
Construction - mid 2019 - late 2020.
For more detailed information about the Downtown Programme, visit Auckland Transport
View a video about the vision for downtown Auckland
This project is a part of the Downtown Programme (Auckland Council and Auckland Transport)